Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bye Bye Blackberry: Part 2

Sorry about the poor scan, but there's not much you can do with a phone in a polycarbonate case with a screen protector… (look closely, you can see the green and red buttons)

UPS delivered the G1.
I called T-Mobile to get them to make the changes to the data package.

That was almost instantaneous!
They offered to walk me through the process. The only near-showstopper was getting the back off to put the battery and SIM card in.

The T-Mobile representative had done it, but it is hard to describe.


After that, it was very easy.
I'd already set up my accounts with gmail, so I only had to add the one account, and it took care of the rest.

I had to import my contacts from the SIM, that was an small, extra, and unexpected step.

There's a program called "translit" (free!) that handles Cyrillic quite well. Type a Russian message, set up an email or SMS, paste in the Russian, send. I had expected this to be something of an ordeal, it wasn't.

I like the G1. It is not a Blackberry, but that's fine. I have to get used to minor things like the alerts and where to look for messages, but not a problem.

I like the "real" keyboard. The polycarbonate case is very nice, but I would not want to have to take it off again.

The screen protector is not perfect, but they never are.
I think I'm going to find that this is the phone for me.

The issues I've seen are minor and so far it already resolves some of my Blackberry issues.


Patrick Jost

No comments: